CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to School

Lou started the classes for his Masters of Divinity program last Monday. He is taking 4 courses at the Institute of Lutheran Theology via online seminar, real time, with cameras and microphones so they can see and talk to each other. There are people from all over the country and Canada taking these classes; I think it is the wave of the future for college, especially for anyone "going back to school." At least an alternative.

The plan is to make Ben's old bedroom into an office for Lou, a quiet place to do class, study, and keep all of his books and papers in one place, and to free up the dining room table and living room floor where all that stuff is now. Ten years after high school graduation, there is still a bunch of Ben-stuff in that room, however, in addition to the stuff I've stashed in there. We did get the loft bed moved out of there several weeks ago when Dayna and Danelle thought it might work well in her room, with the drawers underneath. So I've been slowly boxing things up and sending them home with Ben, unfortunately probably for Kelli to deal with once they get there since Ben is busy with chopping now... I have a good plan for the office, and it will be beautiful; hopefully done by the end of the month. In the mean time, Lou is using the desk in Dayna's former room (and the bed) for his computer classes and book-spreading-out place.

Lou is not a computer person. Not only does he not type very well at all, the whole working the mouse to cut and paste words on a page thing is scary to him, as is logging on, passwords, maneuvering between pages, etc. So we've been practicing and he logs on himself now, pretty much. Yay for computers that remember passwords. I bought him a nice used laptop with built-in webcam for his classes, and the wireless fiber optic system we have here is great for them. The most challenging class is Greek, as we expected. It takes a lot of time memorizing and reviewing and practicing pronunciation, and much of this is done on the computer too. I think he's been doing it in the early mornings while I sleep :o) -- and some in the car, listening to the practice CD while we drive to or from town. I expect he will turn out to be a good student (still). Except for the typing part, which I said I'd help with (and he will work on more when Greek is done)!

And so as other mothers are sending their little ones off to their first day of school or preschool, I sent my hubby back to school last week, too.
P.S. "Good luck" and "have fun" wishes go out to Kelli and Nicholas on his first day of preschool tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment